Council Tax Graph
Below is the Council Tax charged for the recent years for a Band E property.
The Central Government (Labour May 1997) has been placing an increasing burden on councils to provide more services.
It should be remembered that Central Government also supply some of the tax receipts as a "Rates Support Grant"
If Central Government chooses to freeze or reduce this Council Grant it is clear that local tax levels will increase by more.
There are some commentators who indicate that Central Governments of a different political party compared to the council reduce the grant in an attempt to politically undermine councils that do share the same political views as Central Government.
Planning Services, Civic Offices,
The market town of Epping is situated in the south west of Essex about 17 miles north east of London.
Astride a ridge, about 300 feet above sea level, it is separated from the outer suburbs of London
by the forest which bears its name.
It was from this abbey that the lives of the people in all the surrounding countryside were shaped in the centuries that followed.
With the defeat of Harold at Hastings in 1066 Saxon rule came to an end.
The Conqueror, Duke William of Normandy, ruled the land with ruthless efficiency devising a system guaranteeing his supremacy. Evidence of the conquest in and around Epping is found in nearby place names, such as Theydon Bois, while in the Domesday Book, the Conqueror's inventory of all the land that England contained, there is recorded Epinga or Eppinges which is now Epping Upland.
Henry II gave to the Abbot and Monks of Waltham the land and manors surrounding Epping Upland and Epping Town.
These, together with other properties scattered over the eastern counties provided the revenue for maintaining the Abbey.
The influence, secular and non secular, on the local people exercised by the Abbot and his Canons continued until the dissolution of the monasteries when Robert Fuller, the last Abbot, surrendered to Henry VIII in 1540.
Epping has been a market town since 1253 A.D. when Henry III granted a charter for a weekly market.
Trading in the High Street has therefore been a feature of the life of the town throughout the centuries, only to be varied according to the economic climate and conditions of the various ages.
In the past, cattle were walked through on their way to Smithfield Market while horses and even wives were bought and sold.
In early times, the whole of Essex was covered with forest and marsh.
As the population increased, so did clearings for the cultivation of crops and the rearing of cattle. In the 17th century enclosures for favoured citizens augmented Crown revenues.
This continued until, by the middle of the 19th century, the area available for common use had dwindled to 2000 acres.
In 1878 the Corporation of London was appointed as conservators of the forest which Queen Victoria decreed should be given to the people for all time.
Land enclosed illegally was restored and further encroachment stopped.
The forest today is comparatively small but is fragile and very beautiful.
It is Epping's crowning glory.
The early roads of Epping ran from South East to North West, which explains why some of the older buildings in the town, particularly in Lindsey Street, lie along this route.
To the south the way was blocked by the Royal Forest but in the early 17th century a road was authorised to penetrate through the trees to Loughton.
The direction of traffic having changed, buildings were then erected on the new north/south road. From the time of James I racing at Newmarket became popular and Epping soon became an important stopping place for the Eastern counties area of the country.
In 1787 another road was constructed to Chelmsford and in 1834 Mr. McAdam whose name is almost synonymous with road making, constructed a new road to Woodford.
The early part of the 19th century was a time when coaching was at its zenith with 25 coaches a day passing through the town, serviced by 26 Inns.
The spread of railways after 1850 marked a steady decline in coach traffic.
To such an extent was this apparent that from that time only two daily coaches to London remained with a consequent decline in the Town's prosperity.
In 1865 the Eastern Counties Railway opened a branch from London which was subsequently extended to Ongar.
Construction difficulties on the ridge, 300 feet above sea level, caused the builders to erect the station about half a mile to the east of the High Street which accelerated building on that side of the Town.
The advent of the motor car and improved roads revived the Town's prosperity and it has continued to develop throughout this century.
The old steam railway to London was electrified in 1948/49 and became part of the London Transport Central Line.
This resulted in a rising demand for housing and a furtherance of the Town's development.
In 1977 the M.1 1 motorway was constructed, by passing the Town, only to be followed by the opening of the local section of the London orbital motorway (M.25) in 1984.
Despite the increase in population and the encroachment of London, Epping has maintained the ambience of a country market town.
This is due to the forest which insulates it from surburban London and the Government policy of creating a Green Belt round Greater London.
The travellers passing through the Forest find the way adorned with horn beam, oak, beech, birch, holly, ash, apple and wild cherry trees while wild life, including deer, flourish in the undergrowth.
The most noble building in the Town is the Parish Church of St. John the Baptist, designed by the great Victorian architect Bodley who also designed Washington Cathedral.
The interior is richly endowed with a four manual Walker Organ, a finely carved pulpit and screen and a high altar with carvings of exquisite proportion.
The offices of the Epping Forest District Council designed by Richard Reid Architects and constructed amid controversy now dominate the northern part of the High Street.
After considerable delay completion was finally achieved in 1990.
Epping Hall in St. John's Road was erected in 1922 by the combined efforts of Epping and District Women's Institute and the Epping branch of the National Federation of Discharged and Demobilized Soldiers and Sailors. The Hall is now administered by the Town Council on a lease from the District Council.
The Thatched House, refurbished and renovated in 1989, occupies a prominent place on the east side of the High Street.
It is a handsome building and is on the site of one of the old hostelries, so much in use during the coaching days. Almost adjacent is the Cock Hotel with a handsome Georgian exterior and which has now been converted for the use of offices and shops.
On the opposite side of the High Street is the Black Lion, one of the oldest surviving inns, while the Half Moon and the Duke of Wellington provide the convivial atmosphere expected of the traditional English pub.
Whilst Epping still has a number of excellent shops the competition provided by multiple stores and supermarkets combined with the threat of increased local street markets, has made it become difficult for some smaller traders to survive.
This problem is not confined to Epping alone but is common to all towns of similar size and situation.
Education in Epping is of a high standard with St. John's, Epping Junior, Epping Infants, Ivy Chimneys, Coopersale and Theydon Garnon Schools attaining excellent academic results in all aspects of modern learning.
The fame of Epping has spread far beyond its boundaries. Much of this is on account of the Forest but also because of commercial activity such as the Wool Fair when 13,500 fleeces were sold in 1858.
Epping sausages spiced with venison were a renowned delicacy and much sought after in London markets.
Wheat, wool and timber, particularly for the construction of naval ships, have all influenced the Town's fortunes.
Kings and Queens have passed through its streets while famous men have lived or sojourned within its reaches.
Among these are Winson Churchill the politician, Henry Doubleday the naturalist, Dick Turpin the highwayman, Samuel Pepys the diarist and Emile Pissarro the impressionist painter.
It is also believed that the great Shakespeare performed his "Midsummer Night's Dream" for the first time at nearby Copped Hall.
The centre part of the town is covered by a Conservation Order, which together with the approved Local Plan should help to safeguard the character of the High Street.
An enhancement scheme to improve the High Street was commenced in 1990 but unfortunately only three quarters of the proposed work was completed before financial restraints called a halt to the work.
An additional part was completed in 1993 but there is still a further section to be finished.
When completed it should make the pathways safer for pedestrians and return the Victorian character to the town.
Pressure is being placed on the small traders of the town by the development of supermarkets and outdoor markets in the vicinity and only time will tell whether the traders can continue to trade profitably.
Area: 1,488 acres (2.325 sq. miles)
Market Day: Monday
Early Closing Day: Wednesday
COUNCILSEPPING TOWN COUNCIL
Services: Allotments, cemetery, market, planning (consultation only), public hall, recreation grounds, bus shelters, public seats and litter baskets.
Mr. D. F. Pond,
25 Hemnall Street,
Epping. Tel: 01992 572016.
EPPING FOREST DISTRICT COUNCIL
Services: Planning, housing, environmental health, highways, refuse collection, recreation, council tax, street cleaning, sewerage.
Epping. Tel: 01992 564000.
Chief Executive, District Treasurer,
Head of Planning and Technical Services,
District Health and Housing Officer,
District Planning Officer.
25 Hemnall Street,
Epping. Tel: Epping 01992 564000
ESSEX COUNTY COUNCIL
Services: Education, planning (major struct-ural plans), highways, social services, refuse disposal, police, small holdings, libraries.
Chelmsford. Tel: 0245 492211
St. John's Road,
Epping. Tel: 01992 573504
Social Services Department,
Tel: 0208 508 9311
Tel: 0208 258 4700
St. John's Road,
Epping. Tel: 01992 560616
Epping. Tel: 01992 561212
Consumer Protection Department,
Chelmsford. Tel: 0245 355381.
OFFICIALREGISTRATION OF BIRTHS AND DEATHS
Crown Buildings, Crows Road,
Epping. Tel: 572788.
REGISTRATION OF MARRIAGES
JOB CENTRE/UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFIT OFFICE
Tel: Harlow 639898.
MEALS ON WHEELS
Tel: 564000, Ext. 3002
YOUTH & COMMUNITY OFFICE
Harlow. Tel: Harlow 434734.
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH & SOCIAL SECURITY
Harlow. Tel: Harlow 432411.
HEALTH SERVICE AND CLINIC
St. Margaret's Hospital,
Epping. Tel: 572038 or 573577
EPPING CITIZENS ADVICE BUREAU
50a Hemnall Street,
Epping. Tel: 574989.
EPPING TOWN OLD PEOPLE'S WELFARE ASSOCIATION
Mrs. R. Benjamin,
22 Severns Field,
Epping, Tel: 573866.
ST. MARGARET'S HOSPITAL
Epping. Tel: 561666.
EPPING POLICE STATION
Epping. Tel: 561212.
ELECTRICITY, GAS, WATEREastern Electricity Board,
Showroom, 186 High Street,
Epping. Tel: 572297
(for emergencies, account queries, appliance deliveries and repair services)
190 London Road,
Rayleigh. Tel: Rayleigh 785566.
Electricity Consultative Council,
P.O. Box 40,
lpswich. Tel: lpswich 55841.
Customer Service Centre,
Harlow. Tel: Harlow 429571.
(Urgent calls outside office hours. Tel: Harlow 450044).
Eastern Gas Consumers Council,
51 Station Road,
Letchworth. Tel: Letchworth 685399.
Lea Valley Water Ltd.,
P.O. Box 48,
Herts. ALl0 9HL.
Tel: Hatfield 277111
Sewers and Drains
Epping Forest Distnct Council,
Epping. Tel: 564000
POLICE - FIRE - AMBULANCEEmergencies - Dial 999 and ask for the emergency service you require.
St. Margaret's Hospital Tel: 561666.
Epping Police Station Tel: 561212.
E. Division Headquarters,
Harlow. Tel: Harlow 420841.
It is possible to travel to many distant places direct by coach. Epping has links with Braintree, Cambridge, Clacton, Felixstowe, Peterborough, Stansted Airport, Sudbury and Yarmouth in addition to those provided by the following services:
Thamesway Wests Coaches
Service 201 Loughton to Ongar via Epping
Service 255 Waltham Cross to Epping Eastern National
Service 333 Stansted Airport to Epping Bernards Coaches
Service 381 Toot Hill to Harlow via Epping Town Link
Service 254 Loughton to Epping
Service 394 Hastingwood to Epping
Service 397 Epping Town service
Service 500 Romford to Stanstead Airport via Epping
Service 501 Stanstead Airport to Lakeside via Epping
Service 502 Romford to Harlow via Epping Underground (Central Line)
North to North Weald and Ongar South to Loughton, the West End of London and W. Ruislip. See local timetables, or Telephone 071 222 1234 for London Transport's 24 hour enquiry service.
St. John's Road,
Epping. Tel: 01992 572016.
St. John's Church Hall,
St. John's Road,
Roman Catholic Church Hall,
Methodist Church Hall,
United Reformed Church Hall,
Epping. Tel: 01992 573676
Coopersale. Tel: 01992 572269
The Allnutts Hall,
Jack Silley Pavilion,
Stonards Hill Recreation Ground,
Epping. Tel: 01992 572016
11 Acre Rise,
Loughton. Tel: 0208 502 0351
3a Thornwood Road.
Epping Bluebirds Netball Club,
60 Dukes Avenue,
Theydon Bois. Tel: Theydon Bois 2793.
25 Kendal Avenue.
41 Kendal Avenue.
Epping District Angling Society,
Epping District Baseball,
6 Durham Avenue,
Tel: 0208 504 8246.
Epping Forest District Swimming,
18-29 Southern Way,
Loughton, Tel: 0208 508 4956.
Epping Foresters Cricket Club,
J. H. Smith,
45 The Drummonds.
Epping Forest Mountain Bike Club,
Epping Forest Pistol Shooting,
152 High Street,
Epping Gliding Club,
33 The Bowls,
Chigwell. Tel: 0208 501 3305
Epping Homing Society,
19 Rodney Road.
Ongar. Tel: 0277 362321.
76 The Drive,
Loughton. Tel: 0208 508 3810.
Epping Forest District Council,
NEW HORIZONS (for the over 50's).
Short Mat Carpet Bowls, Social Swimming & Lessons, Badminton, Short Tennis, Table Tennis, yoga & Relaxation, Keep Fit and Relaxation, Weight Training, Petanque, Dancing, Stepping-Out Club (visits to places of interest), Special Dances and other events.
Tel: Jan Sirnister, 564OOO, Ext. 2177.
Epping Sports Centre,
25 Hemnall Street.
Archery, Aerobics, Badminton, Bowls, Circuit Training, Fitness Training, Gymnastics, Golf, Judo, Junior Sports, JuJitsu, Karate, Keep Fit, Netball, Racketball, Squash, Junior Squash, Soccer, Short Tennis, Trampolining, Volleyball, Weight Training, yoga, Rifle Shooting, Pistol Shooting.
Mrs. G. Ederfield.
Lower Bury Lane, Tel: 574069
Garnon Rangers Football Club,
Mr. S. Rodell,
88 St. John's Road,
George & Dragon Football Club,
188 Spinning Wheel Mead,
Harlow. Tel: 0279 641560.
Lindsey Street C.A. Football Club,
22 Stewards Close,
Karate - Kyusoku-ryu (Epping),
12 Arches, Harlow. Tel: 0279 437372.
St. Margaret's Bowling Club,
E. T. Clark,
65 Coronation Hill. Tel: 576502.
Taoist Tai Chi Society of Great Britain (Epping Branch),
Mrs. J. Usher,
Threshers Bush Cottages,
Harlow CM1 90NS.
Tel: 0279 422686
The Essex Shooting School,
25 Duck Lane,
Thornwood. Tel: 576726
Theydon Bois Golf Club,
Theydon Bois. Tel: 01992 813054.
West Essex Golf Club,
P. H. Galley, MBE,
Tel: 0208 529 7558
Aircrew Association of South East Essex, I. Blair. Tel: Brentwood 210964.
British Red Cross Society, Mrs. N. Favre, 5 Highfield Place. Tel: 573369.
British Red Cross - Medical Loans, Mrs. A. Pantin, 65 Hemnall Street. Tel: 574788.
Cancer Research Campaign, G. Stechman, 10 Lynceley Grange. Tel: Epping 573360.
Citizens Advice Bureau, 50a Hemnall Street (behind Fire Station) Manager, Mrs. J. Binfield. Tel: 574989.
Conservators of Epping Forest, The Warren, Loughton. Tel: 0208 508 2266.
Epping Forest Association of Disabled People Mrs. J. Alderton, 15 Warren Field, Epping CM16 7BA.
Epping Forest Chamber of Commerce South, Mrs. C. Ward, 38 Land View Gardens, Marden Ash, Ongar. Tel: Ongar 363033.
Epping Forest Conservation Centre, High Beach, Loughton. Tel: 0208 508 7714.
Imperial Cancer Research, 1 46a High Street. Tel: 576916.
League of Friends of St. Margaret's Hospital, Mrs. D. Hill, Peartree Cottage, Forest Glade. Tel: 573159.
N.S.P.C.C., Mrs. K. Evans, 41 Station Road, Epping. Tel: 572067.
Oxfam Shop, 190 High Street. Tel: 577041.
Royal British Legion, Mr. P. B. Snelling, 80 Tower Road, Epping CM16 SEW. Tel: 575857.
Royal British Legion (Women’s Section) Mrs. O. Clayton, 10 Tower Road. Tel: 574630.
Royal Naval Association, P. Hart, 32 Ivy Chimneys. Tel: 574519.
Royal National Lifeboat Institute, Mrs. M. Neale, 2 Ashlyn's Road, Epping CM16 5DR.Tel: 572521.
Samaritans - Tel: 0279421110.
St. John's Ambulance, Mrs. P. A. Mohr, 17 Lancaster Road, North Weald. Tel: 01992 523832.
Sue Ryder, 214 High Street. Tel: 560791.
W.R.V.S., Mrs. J. E. Lewzey, Pelly Court, Hemnall Street, Epping. Tel: 572722.
SCOUTS, GUIDES, BROWNIES AND CADET FORCES
Air Training Corps.,
No. 414 (Epping & North Weal) Squadron,
78 High Street,
1st Epping (Methodist) Brownies,
59 Crows Road. Tel: 572802.
1st Coopersale Brownies,
Ms. S. Durban,
114 East Park,
1st Theydon Garnon Cubs & Scouts,
49 Sunnyside Road. Tel: 577792.
Essex Army Cadet Force "A" Company,
Epping (RCT) Platoon, Mallinson Centre,
St. Margarets Hospital,
Epping. Tel: 561666.
Princess Alexandra Hospital,
Harlow. Tel: 0279 444455.
The Limes Medical Centre,
Epping - Surgery.
Epping - Surgery. Tel: 572012.
NORTH ESSEX'S HEATH AUTHORITY
Harlow. Tel: Harlow 444455.
Witham. Tel: Witham 516515.
HEALTH SERVICE CLINIC
15 Regent Road,
Epping. Tel: 573577.
WEST ESSEX COMMUNITY HEALTH COUNCIL
Herts and Essex Hospital,
Bishop's Stortford. Tel: Bishop's Stortford 55863
117a High Street. Tel: 578962
19 Church Hill. Tel: 574467
92 High Street. Tel: 572461
2 St. John's Road. Tel: 574004
76 Hemnall Street, Tel: 575790.
226 High Street,
Epping. Tel: 573333.
TAXI AND CAR HIRE
Epping Forest Taxi Service,
291 High Street. Tel: 573605, 574216 and 572444.
Lawlor Car Services,
Station Approach. Tel: 576094.
Odeon, The High,
Harlow. Tel: 0279 426989.
MGM Multiplex Cinema,
Harlow. Tel: 0279 424242.
HELP FOR THE RETIRED IN EPPING
Epping Town Old People's Welfare Association co-ordinates the efforts of a large number of local organisations and individuals willing to give some of their time to ensure the happiness and well-being of the retired members of the community. The Association organises fund raising activities and is hel p ed by donations from oraanisations and individuals in the town. Epping Forest District Council also makes a grant towards the cost of group holidays for the elderly.
Social Services Department,
Essex IG10 2DJ.
Tel: 0181 508 9311
North Essex Health Authority,
St. Margaret's Hospital,
Tel: Epping 572038.
Can advise about chiropody, health visitors and community nursing sisters.
Epping Forest District Council provide various types of housing suitable for elderly people. Applications should be made to the
Epping Forest District Council,
323 High Street,
Tel: Epping 564000.
There is an excellent library in St. John's Road, Epping, where a good selection of Large Print books are available. Loughton Centre Library, Traps Hill, Loughton run a Mobile Library service. Tel: 0208 505 0181.
W.R.V.S. operate a housebound service -contact Loughton Central Library (details as above).
The Citizens Advice Bureau, 50a Hemnall Street, is open Monday to Friday 10a.m. to 2 p.m.. Wednesday evening 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
If you have to go into hospital take your pension book with you. If you are worried about personal or money matters, the medical social worker (almoner) will help.
THEYDON TRUSTS LIMITED
Theydon Trusts Limited has a limited number of bedsit and one bedroomed properties available for elderly people.
Applications should be made to the Secretary,
Theydon Trusts Limited,
25 Hemnall Street,
Epping. Tel: 572016.
W.R.V.S. Luncheon Club, Pelly Court, Hemnall Street, Tuesdays and Thursdays.
W.R.V.S. Darby & Joan Club at the Pelly Centre,
Coopersale Senior Citizens meet every other Tuesday afternoon at the Institute,
The Parish Church of St. John the Baptist, built in 1889, is a perfect example of the kind of church which would have been built in the 14th century. Its style is French-Gothic, and it was designed by the great Victorian architect Charles Bodley - creator of many well-known churches in London and the provinces. A pleasing feature of Epping Church Ties in the fact that the architect for the building also had a hand in the furnishings, and examples of Bodley's work will be seen in the organ case, and a tripfych which stands at the east end above the High Altar The tower (build 1907-9) is 96 feet high and dominates the High Street: it is a landmark in the surrounding country. Two features are worth noting - the life-size stone figures which look down from each of its four sides, and the projecting clock which must have been the timekeeper for many travellers through the town. The church is open every day, and the clergy are ready at all times to administer the Sacraments, and see parishioners over any matter concerning pastoral care. The incumbent is the Rev. P. Nokes, The Vicarage, Hartland Road. Tel. Epping 572906. Sunday Services: Morning Prayer 7.30 a.m. Holy Communion 8 a.m. Parish Communion 9.30 a.m. Evening Service 6.30 p.m. Attached to the church are Mothers' Union, Women's Guild, Youth Fellowship, guides and brownies, choir and bellringers, toddlers.
EPPING METHODIST CHURCH Epping Methodist Church is part of the Harlow Mission Circuit, and is part of the Epping local Ecumenical Project. In 1989, this ecumenical involvement was taken further and, together with the other Methodist Churches in North Weald, and Harlow, and those in Harlow Methodist/Anglican, and the United Reformed Church Grouip of Harlow and Roydon became the West Essex United Area (Methodist/United Reformed). This is the third ecumenical area to exist in the country and formally started on 1st January, 1990. Sunday services: 11 a.m. and 6.30 p.m.